Back to school time usually has folks shopping for new printers for their kids that are going off to college and university. In this blog we would like to make some recommendations for laser and inkjet printers to help you sort this out.
Some considerations that have to be made are:
a) Is colour printing required?
b) Are scanning and copying functions necessary?
c) Is a wireless printer required or will plugging direct into the computer suffice?
d) Would the ability to duplex be a valuable asset?
Monochrome laser printers in general are the most cost effective way to print. Here are our top 5
Laser – Printer only, no multi-function capability:
1. HP P1102W wireless printer. An entry level printer with a small footprint is great for dorms. Cost $165. Printer cartridge prints 1600 pages. Imaging drum is integrated. Every time the cartridge is remanufactured, a new drum in installed. Great value.
2. Brother HL-2270DW. This is another entry level yet hardy printer with duplex and wireless capabilities. Small footprint. Cost $150. Toner cartridges come in two sizes TN-420, 1500 pages or TN-450 2,600 pages. All Brother printers have a separate imaging drum unit. This unit is good for approximately 4 toner cartridges at which time it has to be replaced. Both the toner and drum units can be remanufactured, saving approximately 40% over buying brand new.
Laser – Multi-function Printers
1. Canon MF4890DW, duplex and wireless printer with fax, scan, copy, print. Drum is integrated in the toner cartridge. Cartridge prints 2,100 pages. Cost $150 on sale. I use this printer in my office and it is great. As with most multi-function printers, the footprint is larger.
2. Brother DCP-7065DN, duplex and network printer. Cost $199. Takes the TN-420, TN-450 cartridge as above.
3. Brother DCP-7860DW. Same as #2 but wireless. Cost $299. Takes TN-420, TN-450
All the inkjet printers below are multi-function units. The inkjet printers with the best cartridges for refilling are HP, Brother and Canon. We do not recommend any other manufacturers as they are not refillable.
1. HP Officejet Pro 8600. On sale now at $129. A printer with print, copy, fax and scan options (not wireless). Quite large profile. Very quick printing at 32ppm. A four cartridge system, available in standard size or XL.
2. The big brother is the OfficeJet Pro 8600 premium, wireless. On Sale at $299. This unit is much larger than the Pro. Print speeds a little faster at 35ppm. Four cartridges which are refillable and available in standard size or XL.
3. HP Officejet 6700 wireless is the baby brother to the 8600. Cartridges don’t hold as much ink as the 8600 and speeds are a little slower at 16ppm black and 9 ppm colour. Four cartridge system which is refillable and available in standard or XL. Cost $189.
4. Brother MFC-J4710 duplex, wireless. Cost $149. This is a four cartridge system which is refillable. Printer speeds are 20ppm black and 18ppm colour. Smaller footprint than the HP printers.
5. Brother MFC-J6520 duplex, wireless. Cost $249. Very good print speeds of 35ppm black and 27ppm colour. Four cartridge system which is refillable.
If you have any questions regarding a printer or cartridge refills, please do not hesitate to get in contact with us. You can connect with us via email or telephone, leave a comment here on the site, or come on into the store located on Yonge Street just south of Mulock Drive in Newmarket.
Until next time,